Username:
Password:
Remember Me [ Forgot? ]

Welcome to Kayak Crazy, Please Login or Signup!
Welcome to the Kayak Crazy Forum!
New Page 1
Kayak Forum
Forums
Moderators: KC Kevin, Red Rocket, Jaydawgx7, Jared James, Administrator, LazyBanana, Sir_Flips_Alot, Mod Adrian, Grunt, moderatortest, Truik, Jess9689, Bob, KC Scarlett
Author Post
FunOfIt
Tue Sep 06 2016, 11:06AM
Scary night on the Cape Fear! We went camping at Sharkstooth Island the night before last and after dark the Coast Guard came to the island and questioned everyone about a missing woman in a red bikini. Her kayak had been found but she wasn't in it. For four hours the helicopters flew overhead with spotlights and boats everywhere searching. Thankfully she was found alive on a neighboring island. This is a reminder of an important lesson! It's important to check your charts before leaving on any kind of boating trip so that, not only do you know where you're going and have a route in mind (so that you can let someone else know where you're going) but so you know your surroundings in case of an emergency. I always create a route on my Navionics app and share it with someone before I leave and familiarize myself with landmarks, etc. I learned this lesson in high school: my sister and I went for a short afternoon kayak (normally around an hour). We lost track of time and it was almost four hours before we returned. Our parents had just called the Coast Guard but all they knew was the general vicinity we said we were going. We hadn't given them a route or anything so it would have taken much longer to find us had we actually been in trouble.

[ Edited Tue Sep 06 2016, 11:09AM ]
KC Kevin
Tue Sep 06 2016, 10:39PM

So did you ever find out what her story was? What happened?

Many of us have all had an incident that changed us for the better. We get smarter in life when we have to learn the hard way. I have my own story, and that's why Wear It! is such a big deal to me.

I didn't, and it almost cost me big.. maybe my life. I've since learned from that experience and used it to help others avoid it!
Paddler
Wed Sep 07 2016, 10:28AM
If you carry a cell phone (and you should, in a waterproof bag), the USCG has an excellent app for iOS and Android:

[Click Here]

Fill out your profile, give specifics on your boat, and even provide a photo of your boat so they know what they're searching for. Big red button for emergency contact with the USCG if needed.
KC Kevin
Wed Sep 07 2016, 05:39PM

I've actually never seen that app, very cool!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Moderator, Member

Disclaimer: Kayak Crazy (www.KayakCrazy.com), including but not limited to, staff, writers, sponsors, and our associates are not to be held accountable for any wrong or misleading information. Our visitors and members must assume and know the risks before attempting to kayak. Information on this site is mostly the views and opinions of the author and are to only be used in conjunction with kayak training from a professional. While kayaking; there is a risk of great bodily injury or even death. Products and services mentioned herein and opinions thereof contain absolutely no representation or warranties whatsoever. The user assumes all risks and responsibilities inherent with the products and the dangerous sport of kayaking. Please use discretion. Always wear an approved flotation device.
Legal | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Kayak Crazy, Inc. 2012-2013
[Click Here]

Designed by Angelus Design