Username:
Password:
Remember Me [ Forgot? ]

Welcome to Kayak Crazy, Please Login or Signup!
Welcome to the Kayak Crazy Forum!
New Page 1
Kayak Forum
Forums
Kayak Crazy | Kayak Forum, News, Reviews, Locations, and more! :: Forums :: Kayaking General :: After Paddle Reports

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
World's Brightest Bioluminescent Bay
Moderators: KC Kevin, Red Rocket, Jaydawgx7, Jared James, Administrator, LazyBanana, Sir_Flips_Alot, Mod Adrian, Grunt, moderatortest, Truik, Jess9689, Bob, KC Scarlett
Author Post
FunOfIt
Mon Nov 14 2016, 08:24PM
We just got back from Puerto Rico and we had one of the most amazing kayaking experiences of our lives (if not the most amazing). We took a glass bottom kayak tour to Mosquito Bay on Vieques (a Puerto Rican island to the east of the main island). It's the brightest bioluminescent bay in the world. When anything touches the water or makes the water move, the water glows bright blue like someone turned on a neon blue light. The effect is caused by microscopic organisms named Pyrodinium bahamense, Dinoflagellates (dinos). There are billions of them in the bay. You're not allowed to swim in it any longer because it harms the environment and kills them but you can dip your hand into the water and it will leave a blue trail behind. And when you pick up your hand out of the water it will glow, and the water that drips off of it glows! A fish swam under our kayak for 10 or 15 minutes and you could see it perfectly because it was glowing so brightly!! You could see fish everywhere (but under the kayak through the glass bottom was amazing!). I can't even find the words to describe how incredible this experience was!! Unfortunately, we couldn't bring our phones on the tour wish us so I didn't get pics but I'm including a pic from the tour company's website (Melaya Tours). If you get a chance to go to Puerto Rico you have to go to Vieques and see the biobay (make sure to go during a "New Moon" phase). I'm also including a screen shot of my Navionics mobile app so you can see where Vieques is in relation to the mainland and where Mosquito Bay is on Vieques.

[ Edited Mon Nov 14 2016, 08:28PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Moderator, Member

Disclaimer: Kayak Crazy (www.KayakCrazy.com), including but not limited to, staff, writers, sponsors, and our associates are not to be held accountable for any wrong or misleading information. Our visitors and members must assume and know the risks before attempting to kayak. Information on this site is mostly the views and opinions of the author and are to only be used in conjunction with kayak training from a professional. While kayaking; there is a risk of great bodily injury or even death. Products and services mentioned herein and opinions thereof contain absolutely no representation or warranties whatsoever. The user assumes all risks and responsibilities inherent with the products and the dangerous sport of kayaking. Please use discretion. Always wear an approved flotation device.
Legal | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Kayak Crazy, Inc. 2012-2013
[Click Here]

Designed by Angelus Design