Username:
Password:
Remember Me [ Forgot? ]

Welcome to Kayak Crazy, Please Login or Signup!
Welcome to the Kayak Crazy Forum!
New Page 1
Kayak Forum
Forums
Kayak Crazy | Kayak Forum, News, Reviews, Locations, and more! :: Forums :: Kayaking General :: General Kayak Forum

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Difference Between a Canoe and a Kayak?
Moderators: KC Kevin, Red Rocket, Jaydawgx7, Jared James, Administrator, LazyBanana, Sir_Flips_Alot, Mod Adrian, Grunt, moderatortest, Truik, Jess9689, Bob, KC Scarlett
Author Post
CoolKayaker21
Wed Apr 12 2017, 03:33PM
Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the difference between a canoe and a kayak? I'm new so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.
Bob
Tue Apr 25 2017, 02:22AM
Probably the simplest thing to do would be to Google them both, and look at pictures.
Our Canoe is an old aluminum Osagian Classic. It is 17 foot long, 36" wide, and 13" deep, and has 2 raised seats. You set with your feet pretty much under you. In our kayaks you set with your feet out in front of you, like in a recliner with the foot rest up. We have canoe seats that are similar to stadium seats mounted to the factory metal seats in the canoe. Normally you have 2 people in a canoe, but it will hold 4 and gear. I believe ours will carry almost 800 pounds total.
Kayaks are normally for a single person, and will not hold very many pounds of gear. I believe my kayak is rated for around 300 pounds total.
Normally you paddle a canoe with a single blade paddle, while the kayak paddle is a double blade design.
Our 17 foot aluminum canoe is normally faster on the water than a recreational kayak.
Our canoe weighs 79 pounds without the added seats. A kayak is much lighter.
Most kayaks in my area are from 10 - 12 feet in length, so they are easier to haul. We can just throw the kayaks in the truck bed, and tie them in. The canoe required a Reese Hitch extender that extend back about 4 feet past the end of the tailgate to support the canoe. ( Short Bed RAM).
I jumped around a lot, but I think you have a little better idea of the differences.

Bob
CoolKayaker21
Tue Apr 25 2017, 02:14PM
Thanks.
Paddler
Fri Apr 28 2017, 08:52AM
CoolKayaker21 wrote ...

Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the difference between a canoe and a kayak? I'm new so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.

As you're new to the sport, here's an excellent discussion of the different types of kayaks.
[Click Here]

Well worth the time reading through the entire site.
hohokom
Thu Jun 15 2017, 10:08PM
FWIW, I took a paddling course in Canada many years ago and, because they had boats that looked nearly identical but called one a canoe, and one a kayak, I asked the same question. The answer was that the paddler sits in a kayak, and kneels in a canoe.

[ Edited Fri Jun 16 2017, 05:10PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Moderator, Member

Disclaimer: Kayak Crazy (www.KayakCrazy.com), including but not limited to, staff, writers, sponsors, and our associates are not to be held accountable for any wrong or misleading information. Our visitors and members must assume and know the risks before attempting to kayak. Information on this site is mostly the views and opinions of the author and are to only be used in conjunction with kayak training from a professional. While kayaking; there is a risk of great bodily injury or even death. Products and services mentioned herein and opinions thereof contain absolutely no representation or warranties whatsoever. The user assumes all risks and responsibilities inherent with the products and the dangerous sport of kayaking. Please use discretion. Always wear an approved flotation device.
Legal | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Kayak Crazy, Inc. 2012-2013
[Click Here]

Designed by Angelus Design