Username:
Password:
Remember Me [ Forgot? ]

Welcome to Kayak Crazy, Please Login or Signup!
Welcome to the Kayak Crazy Forum!
New Page 1
Kayak Forum
Forums
Kayak Crazy | Kayak Forum, News, Reviews, Locations, and more! :: Forums :: Kayaking General :: General Kayak Forum

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Transporting Kayak on Jeep Wrangler?
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: KC Kevin, Red Rocket, Jaydawgx7, Jared James, Administrator, LazyBanana, Sir_Flips_Alot, Mod Adrian, Grunt, moderatortest, Truik, Jess9689, Bob, KC Scarlett
Author Post
Spoiledrotten
Thu Nov 21 2013, 06:48AM
Thanks. I'm going to go forward with the bars across the trailer. I think that is the base for the J hooks to mount to anyway. I've got my eyes on some hooks; just waiting for the price to get right. I really like the idea of the J hooks anyway. It will provide more room for a third yak on that small trailer. Thanks for the advice, Kevin.
KC Kevin
Thu Nov 21 2013, 08:42AM

You bet. It's stressful trying to stap boats down to crossbars without mounts... Constant worry about damaging the kayak, it sliding off, etc. I've done it for a long time, but won't look back! I've got Malone Seawings obviously and love mine, but that's because I didn't want the additional height on my vehicle.... For you, the J cradles will be perfect.
Spoiledrotten
Sun Dec 01 2013, 07:05AM
You talked me into it, Kevin. I just received the 4 sets of J racks that I ordered. I put two of them together this weekend. Just got back from Washington DC and will be spending the next couple of days getting my Jeep and off-road trailer ready to be in a local Christmas parade. I'll then, focus on getting the rack built to host the J-hooks. Really getting excited about getting all rigged up for my new hobby. I don't think I'll need all four sets, but will have a extra set for the wife's yak if I can talk her into being open minded enough to get one, too. I might sell the fourth set, but it would be a good back up, just in case someone else wanted to go along with us.

[ Edited Sun Dec 01 2013, 07:06AM ]
KC Kevin
Sun Dec 01 2013, 11:42AM

Awesome, Malone or another company hooks ??

I'm excited to see pictures!! Having all 4 sets is nice. When your friends want to go and don't have gear, it will make your life easier!
Spoiledrotten
Sun Dec 01 2013, 02:48PM
I didn't get the higher dollar hooks but they feel pretty sufficient. These should last quite a while and if the kayaking takes off like I'm hoping it will, there's time for the investments in the better equipment. I'm going to mount them on 1" square tubing so pivoting on round bars won't be an issue.
Spoiledrotten
Sat Dec 14 2013, 02:11PM
I made the transition on my offroad trailer. Got the cross members welded on this morning, and the J-hooks mounted. I'll most likely have to readjust when I put the boats on it, but thought I'd leave them as is for the pics. I've got two more sets. I know I won't have room to mount all four, but I believe I'll be able to easily get one more set if I mount them all one direction, more like a file system.

Now it's time to get out the black paint and freshen up the trailer.

[ Edited Sun Dec 15 2013, 11:54AM ]
KC Kevin
Sun Dec 15 2013, 11:50AM

sweeeeeet setup man! The J hooks are actually facing the wrong way. The high sides should be back to back and the low sides should be on the outer edges of the trailer. That will allow you to tie them down and load/unload easier.

Great crossbars too, you weld them yourself ?
Spoiledrotten
Sun Dec 15 2013, 02:04PM
I'll agree that they will be easier to load and unload, but it will take some experimenting. The trailer is very narrow, as you can see, so I thought putting them this way, it would keep the tires from kicking road junk onto the top of the yaks. I may even put three sets of hooks on, and if I do that, I'll have to put them all facing the same way. I'm going to face them outward and see how much room that gives me. I'd much rather load them over the short part of the hooks if the trailer will allow it. Thanks for the feedback, Kevin.

I have a friend that does all of my welding. He's very good with a welder.

[ Edited Sun Dec 15 2013, 02:06PM ]
CraigFrWinnipeg
Wed Aug 09 2017, 01:32PM
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and wrestled with this problem too! I just wanted a simple way to transport my recreational kayak but wanted to keep the hard top on because I wanted to keep opportunists out of my jeep and not get mud and water dropping on me on the way home. I did not want to butcher my hardtop by drilling holes or buy an expensive rack so I designed hardtop clips that work well with rope or inexpensive 1" tie-downs. It took me several summers to come up with a solution because our summers are so short here in Canada. Anyway, I am 3D printing my design out of a professional grade of ABS that has stood up well but I really want to make it out of an advanced nylon polymer that is both highly UV and break resistant but the correct filament is not available so I decided to injection molding which can be expensive so I put it out there on the Indiegogo crowd funding platform.

There was foam that came with my kayak to tie it down but I preferred to use foam plumbing pipe insulation as it is round and allows me to roll the kayak around without scratching the top. It also sits flatter to the roof. I think pool noodles would work well too.

Maybe people can give me a shout out if they think I should continue to pursue this project.

KC Kevin
Mon Aug 14 2017, 07:57PM

Got a closeup of the clips ? Looks cool!
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Moderator, Member

Disclaimer: Kayak Crazy (www.KayakCrazy.com), including but not limited to, staff, writers, sponsors, and our associates are not to be held accountable for any wrong or misleading information. Our visitors and members must assume and know the risks before attempting to kayak. Information on this site is mostly the views and opinions of the author and are to only be used in conjunction with kayak training from a professional. While kayaking; there is a risk of great bodily injury or even death. Products and services mentioned herein and opinions thereof contain absolutely no representation or warranties whatsoever. The user assumes all risks and responsibilities inherent with the products and the dangerous sport of kayaking. Please use discretion. Always wear an approved flotation device.
Legal | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Kayak Crazy, Inc. 2012-2013
[Click Here]

Designed by Angelus Design