Username:
Password:
Remember Me [ Forgot? ]

Welcome to Kayak Crazy, Please Login or Signup!
Welcome to the Kayak Crazy Forum!
New Page 1
Kayak Forum
Forums
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: KC Kevin, Red Rocket, Jaydawgx7, Jared James, Administrator, LazyBanana, Sir_Flips_Alot, Mod Adrian, Grunt, moderatortest, Truik, Jess9689, Bob, KC Scarlett
Author Post
Truik
Sat Jul 06 2013, 01:46AM

deborahfarmer wrote ...

Just looked at the Jackson Kayak
Coosa. Would some kind soul leave me one in their will? I am in love I think.....

Keep a vigilant eye out on e-bay and craigslist.

Great kayaks appear with great prices from time to time.

Bob
Sun Nov 02 2014, 07:53AM
My wife is a serious trail rider. She is out riding one of her 5 horses several times a week somewhere. This puts her in contact with lots of other horse riding ladies from all over. It turned out that several of them also had kayaks. They talked her into kayaking with them, and she liked it. We have had an Osagen Tandem canoe for probably 20 years, but it is way to heavy for her to handle by herself. The kayaks were light enough for her to handle by her self.
We started looking to see what we liked, and what was the best bang for our bucks. We looked at Sundolphin 10 foot set in's. They also had a 12 foot set on Journey that I still like the looks of fairly well, but at that time she had made her mind up that a 10 foot was as long as she was going to own. The ones all her friends had were 10 foot and hauled in the back of a short bed pickup truck well.

We were off to see the youngest son and his family in Kansas City, so we went to Cabalis. At the time we were shopping they had a good assortment of expensive kayaks that looked to have been outside in the sun for years. From our observations they were over priced, and I did not plan on buying one that looked 5 years old when I took it home.
Note: I was back by Cabalis about a week ago. They were stocked up with new Kayaks, and they were way less expensive. The old stock was all gone.
Back to the Kansas City trip. On the way home we decided to go through Springfield and see what Bass Pro had to offer. They were selling kayaks as fast as they came in the warehouse. The D10 looked pretty fair, so we talked with a salesman. He called the warehouse, and they did have a pair of Red D10's in stock. We took them. The D10 is a pretty good kayak for recreational use on a slow river or creek.
Second Pair: We have a couple grandkids fairly close, so the wife decided we should get a couple more kayaks. By this time we had heard about Ozark Outfitters just South of Springfield at Ozark Missouri. A real Kayak Shop. We made a field trip to see what they had to offer. After looking everything they had over we decided we really liked the Perception Tribe 9.5's pretty well. I got one in Camo and the wife got hers in Lime Green.
The grandkids loved kayaking, and they really liked the D10's. We prefered the Tribe 9.5's so things were perfect.

Third Pair: Then the wife got to thinking a little, and decided the kids might like to go also. By this time I was doing a lot of kayak reading. We called Ozark Outfitters about a pair of Tribe 11.5's. No luck on a couple being in stock, they had 9.5's and 13.5 tandems in stock. They could order us a couple 2015 model Tribe 11.5's. Come to find out Perception made a change in the seat for 2015. I liked the seat that came on the 2014's just fine. I did a little looking and found a couple 2014 Tribe 11.5's in stock in Utah. A Lime Green for her and another Camo for me. With the super sale price, and shipping it was almost the same price as the 2015 would be, minus a 200 mile round trip after them.
I think we both like the Tribe 11.5's just a little better than the Tribe 9.5's. The extra 2 foot of length is not a problem hauling them in the bed of a short bed pickup. They are a little faster than the shorter 9.5's. They also track a little better. And they will hold a little more gear. They seem to turn about as quick as the shorter Tribes do.
We are hooked. We now have a 6 place Kayak Trailer. It will be tarped and used for a storage rack when not hauling kayaks.
We ordered a 20 Quart K2 cooler in Duck Blind Green to match my Camo Kayak.
We have also been looking at the Engle 19 Quart Dry Box Coolers. Austin Kayak has them for $47. I see a couple of them in our future for dry storage.
Did I mention we got some new seats for our old Osagen canoe also.
I see us putting a lot of time on Missouri Rivers next year, we are hooked.

A Couple Family Pictures. Starting to look like we have a Kayak Rental business.

Bob & Wilma

[ Edited Sun Nov 02 2014, 07:58AM ]
FBYAK124
Mon Jun 01 2015, 04:23PM
Recently I bought a Future Beach Fusion 124 from DSG over Memorial Day weekend. Put it in the water for the first time this past weekend and was very pleased with the way it handled. Spent a couple of hours on the lake and had an enjoyable time. There was a little bit of a wind that day and it carried over to me the smell of hamburgers cooking on a charcoal grill. Once I got a whiff, all I could think about was heading home to light up the grill.

TechGnome
Sun Jun 21 2015, 11:28PM
Long time kayaker, first time poster.

Reading some of the posts on page 1 of this thread got me to thinking about the first time I went kayaking around here... I'd just moved to South Carolina, where there is water water water all around - Charleston sits at the confluence of three rivers, a harbor and the Atlantic Ocean. After buying a kayak, I took it to the nearest water, which happened to be a reservoir. The biggest problem with it is that it;s so large, that it is very susceptible to winds. For me, I like the exploration aspect, so I'm following the coastline, up into a feeder area. At one point, I saw something flaoting on the water. As soon as I thought "if I didn't know better, I'd say that was a gator" ... it disappeared... turns out my gut instinct was right! I quietly back paddled out of there and back into the deeper and safer waters.

But then I realized that wasn't actually the first time I'd gone kayaking. It was the first time I'd gone in my own kayak, but I had actually caught the kayaking bug long before that. Back in '88 I think it was, in high school. I'd gone to Sitka, Alaska on a work project with my church youth group. The college we were working at, had some kayaking gear and in our down time we'd take it out. So my very first kayak experiences were tootling around the seas off of Sitka in the norther Pacific. We got to experience jelly fish (occasionally we'd paddle through a swarm of them, accidentally picking them up with the paddles), all kinds of fish, birds, islands, and the occasional dolphin pod. It's no wonder how or why I got hooked on it. IT just took me another 24 years to return to it.

Now I explore the local rivers, heading up towards and into the blackwaters around here. I don't do any fishing (yet)... I just enjoy being on the water, seeing the wildlife and re-connecting.

At some point, I'd like to build a trailer that I can use to carry the kayak, along with camping gear. Would be nice to take it with us camping in other parts of the state.

pastorbran
Fri Jul 10 2015, 08:11PM
My first was today! I had wanted to kayak for a few years, but we just didn't live close enough to some practical flat water. We moved not too long ago and I stopped by our local shop just to dream a little...well before you know it they were installing my crossbars and loading two Pungo 140s atop my 4Runner. I took off to the house, got my wife and kids in the car and just a few minutes after fitting their PFDs and getting some sunscreen on we were paddling around Lake Reidsville. Our children (3 and 4) were a little nervous at first. Before you knew it they were dragging their fingers in the water and shrieking with delight. We explored the shore line for a few hours...even found a concrete dog statue someone placed in the water just inside the tree line. The kids thought that was a hoot. They loved the birds, jumping fish, and even the black snake that swam by. My three year old son already wants his own boat. I am looking forward to a lot of great times with them on the water.

[ Edited Fri Jul 10 2015, 08:13PM ]
Mod Adrian
Sun Jul 12 2015, 02:11PM

pastorbran wrote ...

My first was today! I had wanted to kayak for a few years, but we just didn't live close enough to some practical flat water. We moved not too long ago and I stopped by our local shop just to dream a little...well before you know it they were installing my crossbars and loading two Pungo 140s atop my 4Runner. I took off to the house, got my wife and kids in the car and just a few minutes after fitting their PFDs and getting some sunscreen on we were paddling around Lake Reidsville. Our children (3 and 4) were a little nervous at first. Before you knew it they were dragging their fingers in the water and shrieking with delight. We explored the shore line for a few hours...even found a concrete dog statue someone placed in the water just inside the tree line. The kids thought that was a hoot. They loved the birds, jumping fish, and even the black snake that swam by. My three year old son already wants his own boat. I am looking forward to a lot of great times with them on the water.

Dog statue huh?, i wonder what the story behind that is...
bigdouga
Wed Mar 30 2016, 02:28PM
My first trip was a 12 mile trip on the Chattahoochee River along the Carroll/Coweta County line in Georgia. Had to navigate a small fall at the power plant and some significant (to me) riffling midway down the river but nothing too difficult. I found a great group of folks to yak with via an online meeting site.
FunOfIt
Fri Jul 29 2016, 01:48PM
My parents bought two used ocean kayaks when I was about 9 years old (so that makes these kayaks over 25 years old). I don't remember specifics of my first trip but those kayaks have been used (mostly by me) at least three times a week every summer since then. It's probably the best investment my parents ever made!
Debra
Sun Sep 03 2017, 04:18PM
I'm so excited I found this website!!! I too have severe scoliosis 92degeres and wanted to try a new workout, yoga has been my go to for many years. I found out yesterday how amazing kayaking can be for scoliosis, it was my first time and I love it so much. Since I live 2 minutes from the harbor I will go often! Thank you so much for all the wonderful stories. My love just got better🙏
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Moderator, Member

Disclaimer: Kayak Crazy (www.KayakCrazy.com), including but not limited to, staff, writers, sponsors, and our associates are not to be held accountable for any wrong or misleading information. Our visitors and members must assume and know the risks before attempting to kayak. Information on this site is mostly the views and opinions of the author and are to only be used in conjunction with kayak training from a professional. While kayaking; there is a risk of great bodily injury or even death. Products and services mentioned herein and opinions thereof contain absolutely no representation or warranties whatsoever. The user assumes all risks and responsibilities inherent with the products and the dangerous sport of kayaking. Please use discretion. Always wear an approved flotation device.
Legal | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Kayak Crazy, Inc. 2012-2013
[Click Here]

Designed by Angelus Design