Username:
Password:
Remember Me [ Forgot? ]

Welcome to Kayak Crazy, Please Login or Signup!
Welcome to the Kayak Crazy Forum!
New Page 1
Kayak Forum
Forums
Moderators: KC Kevin, Red Rocket, Jaydawgx7, Jared James, Administrator, LazyBanana, Sir_Flips_Alot, Mod Adrian, Grunt, moderatortest, Truik, Jess9689, Bob, KC Scarlett
Author Post
Truik
Sat Nov 24 2012, 09:38PM

I've kayaked and I've fished but I've never really fished while kayaking. I've never had a problem finding a place to put fish when I fish from shore or a bass boat but where do you stow your catch in a kayak?

I just got motivated to start fishing again after I spent some time with extended family over the holidays. Now that I have stopped to pick up a telescopic rod from Wal-Mart, I'm starting to allocate a bit of thought towards logistics and choose to defer to those far more experienced and smarter than me.

So, how about it? What's the best tips and tricks for coordinating the fishing gear and the fish themselves?

Jared James
Sun Nov 25 2012, 07:35AM

Assuming you're not catching anything TOO huge, I'd say get one of those collapsible steel mesh baskets that you can leave off the side of your boat (and tied down somewhere, of course). Any sort of live well is huge and crazy expensive, not worth it unless you've got a Hobie made for fishing or something.

Also, if you're ever camping and depending on fishing for food then a few Yo-Yo Fishing Reels will make sure you don't go hungry. I tested mine out before the weather went bad in a quarry we were paddling in and within a few minutes I had caught two little bitty bluegills (I didn't set it very deep).

If you plan on getting an anchor, get a relatively heavy one... i tried using a 2.5 lbs one "made for kayaks" and it was rubbish.

[ Edited Sun Nov 25 2012, 07:36AM ]
Truik
Sun Nov 25 2012, 11:29AM

Now those yo-yo reels look pretty interesting...and the price is right!

Thanks for the links.

fishaholic
Sun Nov 25 2012, 05:17PM
kayak fishing is a blast, learning to downsize from all the gear you carry on a boat is a challenge.

If im keeping fish (usually bluegills or a few cats) I use one them mesh floating baskets and tie off to side of boat. If you have a boat with room a small 3gal or 5 gal bucket works. Then you can run a airator in there too.

As for rods, I prefer to use 6-7ft rods, occasionaly if im verticle fishing over some structer I will use a smaller rod or a ice fishing rod. Lots of practice out and seeing what works for you.
Woodsmoke
Sun Mar 22 2015, 04:28PM
You can also buy large insulated fish bags that you fill with ice before setting out taht will keep your catch fresh for several hours. They will ride in places in kayaks where coolers won't.
FunOfIt
Thu Aug 18 2016, 01:57PM
Those yo-yo reels look awesome! I'm ordering some now. Thanks for the link.
crittrgittr
Tue Jul 04 2017, 03:06PM
I use one of these expanding mesh fish baskets with a "Wheel barrow" tire inner tube around the neck area. Coated cable attaches to any mount or handle on kayak.

d-old-man
Fri Jul 07 2017, 09:36AM
what ever you do don't buy the cheep chain stringers like they have at Wal-Mart, I lost 2 good catfish the other day on one of them, they will come apart where the little sheetmetal that holds the clips on and your fish will be lost, I was po-ed

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Moderator, Member

Disclaimer: Kayak Crazy (www.KayakCrazy.com), including but not limited to, staff, writers, sponsors, and our associates are not to be held accountable for any wrong or misleading information. Our visitors and members must assume and know the risks before attempting to kayak. Information on this site is mostly the views and opinions of the author and are to only be used in conjunction with kayak training from a professional. While kayaking; there is a risk of great bodily injury or even death. Products and services mentioned herein and opinions thereof contain absolutely no representation or warranties whatsoever. The user assumes all risks and responsibilities inherent with the products and the dangerous sport of kayaking. Please use discretion. Always wear an approved flotation device.
Legal | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Kayak Crazy, Inc. 2012-2013
[Click Here]

Designed by Angelus Design